Saturday, June 11, 2011

Day 40 - Friday June 17, 2011 - Paris, France





Top: Inside La Madelaine - Used as a church in Paris.

Middle: Inside the Basilica St. Denis - the burial place for most of the kings and queens of France. This is the tomb of Francois I. Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette's graves are in the basement crypt.

Bottom: The heart of Louis XVII.

Last night I closed the black out shade and it worked. I woke up at 6:30 but turned over until 7:45. A good night's sleep at last - but I'm wanting to be home in my own bed now.

Had breakfast in the Executive Lounge and then took a train to go across town to look at a couple of rental properties that Diane had sent to me. One big problem - on the train I looked at the information and I had the streets but no house numbers. Oh well.

I had to change trains at Montparnasse and had to use one of the very long moving sidewalks to get from one terminal to another. South Africa had a three-dimensional display over the entire passage advertising their country - beautiful pictures and scenery all in 3-D. They handed you 3-D glasses when you got on the sidewalk and took them back when you got off. Unique.

Since I didn't have the addresses, I went to La Madeleine. Beautiful structure and the inside is gorgeous. Beautiful flowers all over the front steps. Left there and went to Fauchon - which used to be a great food market with ducks, chickens, rabbits, pigs and all kinds of other animals hanging up and fresh produce. But it has become very commercial - didn't see any of the old displays that I liked.

Left there a little before 11 and headed to The Louvre on foot. Enroute at Palais Royal they had a booth on Alsace up with all kinds of wines, cheeses, and other items unique to Alsace. The smells of the cheeses were wonderful. Lingered there a bit and then continued on to Al Stewart's flat to meet him for lunch.

I stopped at a little store across from the Louvre and bought 3 scarves (made of crinkly material) that all of the French men are wearing. Looks great - and it actually did feel good against my neck with the overcast chilly weather today.

I arrived there right on time whereas the other night I was "retard fasionable". He laughed. He had several choices for lunch but we decided on one within walking distance at The Bastille. We set off on foot and went into a church along the way that has old graffiti: "La Republic Francaise ou la mort" (A free republic of France or death). That's cool that they saved that.

We arrived at Leon de Bruxelles right at The Bastille round-about. The moules and frites were delicious. Great lunch and very reasonable for Paris. This restaurant started in the little alley in Brussels that I love that is just packed with seafood restaurants. Now they have expanded to other cities.

Al and I walked back to the Hotel de Ville and I bid him farewell. Will see him soon back in Ft Lauderdale. I took the metro to the Champs d'Elysee, and changed trains to get to St. Denis. The Basilica St. Denis is the next to the last stop on this line and is the location of the burial sites for most of the French kings, queens, and other royals. Clovis I (1st king of France) is buried here as are Louis XVI, Marie-Antoinette, Louis XVIII, and Francois I. Beautiful church and stained-glass windows. They had the sanctuary set up for a concert that is happening either tonight or this weekend.

Spent the afternoon marveling at the neat tombs of the royals. Then decided to head back to Paris. So where is my subway pass? Looked everywhere and it's gone!!!! I thought I put it in my jacket pocket so it either fell out or someone picked my pocket. Nothing else missing. So I bought a 1.70 euro ticket to get back all of the way across town to the hotel.

Arrived back at the hotel in time for "cocktail hour" in the lounge, so changed clothes and put shorts on for a while. My feet are killing me again, so I may not go far tonight.

Had my red wine in the lounge and snacks. Talked to a couple from Chicago and their daughter for along time. Seems like American politics is a favotite topic. I gave them some restaurant recommendations and left at 9 to find my own restaurant. There was ONE criteria tonight - DO THEY HAVE ILE FLOTTANTE? I found the Au Vin des Rues Restaurant and they met the criteria. Of course they sat me at a table SQUEEZED between 2 other tables. Typical French.

I had a great dinner. The American couple of my left didn't want to talk but the French couple from the south of France on my right were very talkative - so between the French and English we did just fine. You see, if you TRY, you can make it work. It was FUN.

My entrecote was actually lean and good. I had red wine. And of course ile flottante - it was SO GOOD. And the French couple died laughing that this was the reason I came to this restaurant. But none of the other restaurants had it on their menu!

Finished dinner about 10:30 and walked back to the hotel. Checked the train schedule to CDG and it looks like I need to get the 9 am train. I checked the fair and "mon dieur" - I need 8.7 euros and I only have 5.60 left. My 5 day pass would have gotten me back but I lost it! Merde! So I used my credit card while the station attendant was there for a ticket for "demain" (tomorrow). I can't believe it was 8.7. Oh well.

It was after 11 pm and my blog is updated and I'm pooped. Off to bed - ready to head home tomorrow.

Bon Soir!

No comments:

Post a Comment