Friday, May 20, 2011

Day 13 - Saturday, May 21, 2011 - Chiang Mai, Thailand





Above: Pictures of the Chiang Mai Flower Market - blocks and blocks of colorful flowers in shops. Beautiful.

Well - today is supposed to be the "End of the World" according to the Christians who were all over Manila and also in Thailand! Apparently they have spent $4M preaching the end will occur today. In Thailand, last night was expected to be a HUGE PARTY night as everyone was out partying just in case the end happens today!!!! (:-))

Got a good night's sleep and feel much better today after my heat issues from yesterday. Will watch that closer. Going to get my clothes laundered and organized today for my 2 days in Bangkok and then off to Nepal. Have started researching things to do in Nepal - looks like a lot of "trekking" trips which I will pass on. Perhaps a helicopter ride to see the sights is my style!!!!

Decided that today would be a day of beauty and rest. So I started with a stop at Starbucks - yes they have those here too! - and then went on a walk to the Chiang Mai Flower Market - beautiful displays of flowers lining the street. So many booths. I couldn't help but wonder what differentiates one from the other. Enjoyed
walking through and taking in all of the colors.

A vegetable market was close by so took that in too.

Crossed the very muddy Ping River and found my restaurant for tonight - looks great and right on the river.

Headed back to the hotel and went to the pool for the afternoon - in the shade - had enough sun yesterday for a month! But keep the rains away. Thought it was going to rain for a while but it didn't. Enjoyed listening to my iPod and reading for the afternoon - very relaxing.

About 6 I went to "My Relax" where I had visited when here before and had the most luxurious foot massage. I feel like I have new feet. She was wonderful.

Met Mr. Bird - the owner of the tour company I use in Chiang Mai - at 7:30 for a glass of wine in the D2 bar. I haven't seen Bird in 4 years since he was my tour guide in 2008 when I stayed way out at the Four Seasons. He is doing great and is very focused on his tour business. I complimented his guide and driver yesterday and he was happy. That was nice that he came to meet me to keep in touch. He wants me to do the "Buddhist Experience" next year - 1 to 3 days of meeting and talking with a Buddhist monk about how to become "enlightened". This is a Buddhist philosophy that I'm intrigued with . May just do this. But I don't want to get me head shaved and sleep on a straw map on the floor!!!

Enjoyed my talk with Mr. Bird - and then headed off to dinner at the Deck 1 Restaurant on the Ping River. Had a table on the deck overlooking the river with lights in the trees. Food was very good and enjoyable. Good service - as is the case everywhere I've ever been in Thailand.

Got back to the hotel, finished packing and off to bed. Tomorrow in the Chiang Mai Sunday Street Market!!!! And it is bigger than ever!!!!

P.S. It is now Sunday May 22 in Thailand and the world didn't end - I guess he was wrong! Wonder what his story is now????

No comments:

Post a Comment