Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Day 24 - Wednesday June 1, 2011 - Istanbul, Turkey





Top: The sultan's private chambers in Topkapi Palace. The tile work was beautiful.

Middle: The Basilica Cistern where they stored water in case invading armies destroyed the aqueducts that brought water to the city.

Bottom: The beautiful Spice Market with colorful displays of spices, plants, food, and anything else you might want to buy.

I was up with the sun this morning - a lot of ground to cover. Headed out a little after 8 and the streets were already bustling. Headed to Topkapi Palace to see if I could beat the crowds - unfortunately, I didn't!

There was a considerable line to buy tickets, and then a humongous line to get through security and the ticket taker. I was behind a huge group of Turkish women - all mostly large with long coats almost to the ground and each with a scarp tied under their chin. Most Turkish women dress this way. The Turkish men dress mostly in dark colors - if not black. So while I was waiting in line I was checking out what everyone was wearing! Of course, I was in my Florida attire - cargo shorts, t-shirt and sandals.

Upon entering the grounds through a beautiful gate, I realized how massive the grounds were. Most of the people there were in huge tourist groups - SO GLAD I didn't do that. I headed first to The Harem where the sultan kept his wives, the queen mother, his concubines and the eunochs who were entrusted by the sultan to guard the women and the grounds. The Harem was unbelievable - so glad I bought the extra ticket to go through this. The tile work is gorgeous and I took lots of pictures in The Harem.

After leaving The Harem I went to the library, and many other exhibits and rooms. There was a beautiful view of the Bosporus from the back grounds of Topkopi. Spent the morning here going through the various rooms and enjoying it. On leaving, a marching band came through the grounds and played a short concert. Enjoyed that.

Left Topkopi and went across the street to The Basilica Cistern. They built the cistern in the mid 5th century to store water so they would always have water in case invading armies destroyed the aqueducts that brought water to the city. They knew they couldn't survive without water. The place was cavernous with a small amount of water now in the bottom. There were 2 interesting sculptures of Medusa.

Left the Cistern and headed down the hill past lots of shops - rugs, jewelry, tourist items, restaurants - one after the other. Got to the harbor and watched the comings and goings for a while. Went to "The New Mosque" which was highly recommended in my guide book and it didn't disappoint. The carpets on the floors were beautiful, gorgeous tiles, intrique ceiling and wall paintings - just beautiful.

Just outside the door to the New Mosque was The Spice Market - a real treat. Beautiful plants, colorful spices, delicious looking foods, and lots of people. I walked throughout The Spice Market and I think I enjoyed this more than the Grand Bazaar. People were very friendly. I stopped just outside the market for a chicken doner - friendly waiter - and it was so good. Hit the spot.

Headed back up the hill and went through the Grand Bazaar one more time. It is unbelieveable how massive it is. Packed with people.

My feet were killing me and it was mid afternoon so I headed back to rest up - I've done a lot of walking today. I'll head out later this afternoon when it is a bit cooler and roam around a bit more.

Went back out and decided to "to the other way" - so jumped on a tram and headed in the opposite direction from all of the sites where I've been concentrating. The tram took me WAY OUT and we passed lots of ruins. Got off at the Topkapi station - but this isn't the Topkapi Palace. Lots of walled ruins around. Didn't spend long and then hopped back on the tram and headed back to the major sights - but didn't get off - kept going the other way. Enjoyed the ride and view of different parts of the city. A neat way to "explore" without having to walk!!!

Took the tram back to the Sultanahmet stop (Blue Mosque) and walked around looking at the shops for a while. WHO buys all of this s**t? I had already picked out my restaurant for tonight - Divane - another sidewalk cafe. My strategy with restaurants here is similar to Greece - get there slightly before the rush and you get a prominent table and excellent service. Divane didn't disappoint. Had a half bottle of wine (yes, only half!), mushroom soup, and lamp chops with lots of vegetables (delicious). Ended with baklava which I always thought was a Greek dessert but it is everywhere in Turkey! Good. They gave me a complimentary cup of Turkish tea (in small glass vessel that was very hot to hold) and it was good.

Headed back to the hotel about 10 pm - the restaurants now are all packed full! Got "accosted" by 2 more rug dealers - will they ever learn?

Watched a documentary on a french tv station on Jackie Kennedy - in french. It was amazing how much I "think" I understood. Went to bed about 11:30. Another great day in Istanbul. I'm still thankful that I changed hotels - I would have been miserable being so far away from the major sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment