Thursday, May 26, 2011

Day 19 - Friday May 27, 2011 - Kathmandu, Nepal



Picture: A very modern structure set in the middle of relatively poor neighborhoods in Kathmandu. I had the Presidential Suite (at least one of the three rooms in the suite) on the top floor of the hotel. No one else around!

Slept until 6:30. Went to the dining room for a huge breakfast at 7:30. Made my arrangements to get to the airport tomorrow. They confirmed that the streets in Kathmandu are impassible today due to all of the protests over the government. So I'm sticking close to the hotel - by the pool - to the spa - and exploring the local neighborhoods by foot.

Finished my David Baldacchi book and started another book by the pool. In the afternoon, thunderstorms started moving into the area - lots of clouds and thunder. Came back to the room about 1:30. Then to the spa for an early birthday deep tissue massage at 2:15. It was good and loosened up my shoulder that has been giving me issues.

Did some preliminary sorting of clothes and packing in the afternoon. Then took a walk to the Buddha Stupa near the hotel and the surrounding neighborhood. Very friendly people. But I do wish they would pick up their trash that is heaped all around.

Throngs of people were already walking clockwise around the stupa and old ladies were saying their afternoon prayers. Went into a few shops but there is really NOTHING that I have any interest in here. At least these shopkeepers are not as pushy as the other places I visited in Nepal.

Went back to the hotel to the Executive Lounge for afternoon wine, yak cheese (yum!) and "snacks". Made dinner off of the snacks. Some of these were REALLY good.

Finished packing, checked email, watched some of the French Open and to bed. I may have scheduled one day too many in Nepal, but the visit was certainly impacted by the political unrest too. I was disappointed I didn't get to visit further up in the Himalayas, but perhaps I'll see this tomorrow as we leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment