Sunday, May 15, 2011

Day 8 - Monday May 16 - Manila, Philippines to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Up with the sun again at 5 am! Went to the breakfast buffet at 6:30 - a great spread of breakfast foods. Today they had a carving station with a ham that was so sweet. The Philippinos like sweet foods. Good filling breakfast.

Finished packing, and then actually worked on my book for a couple of hours while I waited to check out.

Left the hotel in a taxi about 10. The taxi driver was obviously working "black" as he didn't start the meter. I questioned that and then he negotiated a flat price for the fare. I guess it was a good deal for both of us but not sure I understand how this works.

The traffic was jammed and it took about 40 minutes to get to the international airport. Checkin was easy - spent my remaining Philippino pesos in the duty free shop and went to the Business Class Lounge where I enjoyed a drink.

Today I travel 1,683 miles on my 5th and 6th flights of 18 total.

We loaded onto a huge plane - not many people up front so I could spread out again. Had a late lunch and a short nap.

We were delayed getting into Singapore due to lots of weather in the area. I had quite a ways to go to get to my connecting flight (do they do this on purpose?) so I hussled to get there. They started loading right as I walked in the gate area. Even fewer people up front on this flight for the short 40 minute flight to Kuala Lumpur.

Wasn't sure that my bag made it given the extremely short layover in Singapore but sure enough - there it was. I have to give it to Singapore Air for running a great airline. My favorite.

Bought an express train ticket into the Kuala Lumpur Sentral Station. A 28 minute trip. Then took a taxi to the Ritz Carlton Hotel in the downtown area. The Petronas Towers were all light up tonight and were beautiful. The concierge tells me that I have to get there VERY early in the morning to queue up to get a ticket to go to the top.

It is pouring down rain in Kuala Lumpur so instead of taking a late evening walk - I'm headed to bed. This traveling from place to place wears me out.

Tomorrow - exploring Kuala Lumpur.

No comments:

Post a Comment