Monday, May 16, 2011

Day 9 - Tuesday May 17 - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia




Left: The Petronas Twin Towers

Right: The King's Palace - "Sultan" is more commonly instead of "King"

I'm in the very western edge of the time zone so it doesn't get light quit so early here - about 6:45 instead of 5. So I awoke with the sun.

Headed out about 8 headed for the Petronas Twin Towers. It is crystal clear this morning so the afternoon rains yesterday left it clear this morning. Stopped along the way for a coffee, and made it to Petronas in about 25 minutes. Beautiful structures.

Went in to see if I could get up to the SkyBridge but the line was massive!!! I had been warned that this could be an issue. Decided not to wait for hours to do this.

Headed back into the city exploring on foot. The area around the twin towers is full of luxury condos and nicely manicured yards. Got into the city and found a somewhat deserted street which I thought was unusual. Make my way along the street only to find out that it was closed for the shooting of a movie. I was standing there studying a map of the city streets when a helper called me away and told me I was in "the shot". Whoops - who knew. They hurried me through the shooting area where there was a throng of people - parked cars and buses in the streets. It was cool.

Saw many of the city sights - stopped by Starbucks for another coffee and treat.

Headed back to the Ritz Carlton and had lunch by the swimming pool and then met up with my tour at 1:30. Ended up there were only 2 of us so we had plenty of time to ask questions of the guide. He was very informative.

We stopped at the Thean Hou Chinese Temple. Today is a holiday so there were lots of people there. The Malaysians celebrate ALL of the holidays - what a deal - Muslim, Islamic, Christian, Catholic. A day off for whatever!

We drove through the Golden Triangle the large commercial, business and shopping district. Packed with people. I spotted a place for massage and foot reflexology and will return here.

Went through Chinatown - same as the others!

Stopped at their Independence Square where there are moorish styled buildings and an old cricket club used by the British when they ruled Malaysia. It was 125 years old.

Stopped by the National Mosque - I was surprised that it wasn't more special. I couldn't go in as I had shorts on.

The Kings Palace was beautiful. They have an interesting system. Every 5 years they get a new king. There are 14 provinces (states) and every 5 years one of the kings, or sultans, becomes the new king of the nation. Their philosophy is that this keeps them from fighting.

We drove by Lake Garden Titiwangsa and also a huge National War Memorial, patterned from the memorials one of the kings had seen in America.

Last stops - a pewter factory and a batik factory. Don't need any more "things"!

Headed back to the Ritz. Went for my massage in the commercial area - it was okay. The Thai massage is better.

Walked around KL for a while - the streets are bustling at night and I understand it stays this way until well in the morning. Even though this is a Muslim country, there is lots of drinking (and other activities) going on.

Got to bed around 10:30 pm. Looking forward to another day in Kuala Lumpur.

No comments:

Post a Comment