Friday, May 13, 2011

Day 5 - Friday May 13, 2011 - Manila, Philippines



Above: Gate to Fort Santiago in Intramuros

I was up at 6 am this morning ready to go. Destination today is the Intramuros area where the early settlements were in the Philippines - rich in history.

Typical me, I decided to see more of Manila on foot. I had been cautioned by Riza Ford to be very careful walking around, but I do like to immerse myself in "local areas". So I headed off on foot for a while. The concierge had told me it was a 30 minute ride to Intramuros.

I ended up walking for an hour and a half and really saw a lot of local color. Lots of Jeepneys (customized "vans" used to carry as many people as they can squeeze in the back). People cooking on the streets. Streets were very dirty. And most of all it was HOT and HUMID. I finally hailed a taxi when I got too hot to walk any more and we drove past the very large US Embassy to Intramuros. The Manila waterfront looks beautiful. I understand the sunsets are beautiful but am surprised since it is so smoggy and hazy most of the time.

Lots of horse drawn carriage drivers hawking a ride through Fort Santiago but I'd already read that this is a rip off. So I walked through and explored the old Fort. Built in the early 1500's and an early fortress.

This is the 150th anniversary of Dr. Jose Rizal, a martyr who is credited early on with moving the Philippines toward independence. Lots of displays on him.

Walked through Intramuros - a walled city. The wall was in pretty good shape in most places.

Went to the Manila Cathedral in the middle of the square. And then to San Agustin Church - one of the oldest.

Headed out of Intramuros to Rizal Park - well maintained. A huge collection of large birdhouses here.

Then started walking back for a while but ultimately hailed a taxi as the heat of the day was upon me and I was very hot. The air conditioned taxi felt good. But on my trip, I was "solicited" by 2 hookers, 3 young children begging for money, 4 born again Christians who think the world is coming to an end on May 21, 2011, 5 people trying to sell feather dusters to people in stopped taxis, and 50 Jeepney drivers!

Got back to the hotel and took a cold shower and changed clothes. Went down to the pool in late afternoon and relaxed with a swim, my book and iPod. Came back to the room about 6 and showered for dinner.

Tonight I had dinner in "Spices Restaurant" - they specialize in Asian cuisine. Delicious. I started with Naam bread, then Tom Yoong Gung - not too spicy, then Tandoori Chicken. The martini and glass of wine was good too. A relaxing evening.

Returned to the room, caught up on email and went to bed early.

Tomorrow is hopefully a trip "to the countryside" to see Tagaytay - a volcano within a lake within a volcano. It's about 60 km outside of Manila so I'll see the countryside. But they warned me that the trip is "weather permitting" as they don't go if the tourists won't be able to see the vistas. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment