Monday, May 23, 2011

Day 16 - Tuesday May 24, 2011 - Bangkok, Thailand to Kathmandu, Nepal




Top: Small temple across from the stupa - bells, incense, and lots of people walking clockwise.

Bottom: Large stupa in the middle of a square. People walk around it clockwise both inside and outside.

Today is flight number 10 of my trip. I'll travel 1,370 miles from Bangkok non-stop to Kathmandu on Thai Airways. I'm really excited about this part of my trip and not sure what to expect.

So I arrived in Kathmandu about noon. The flight in had beautiful vistas - with huge mountains until we went below the clouds. We landed and the primitive nature of this place set in. Actually, for me - it was panic. Don't know why - but that's probably why I'm here - to experience this. Nothing ventured - nothing gained.

THANK GOODNESS that I had prearranged a hotel pickup here. One of the few places - an instinct I guess. But my "guide" was waiting for me with a sign and I was relieved. This is a very differnt place!!! No ATM's - no duty free shops - very primitive.

The Hyatt Regency Shuttle took me a short distance to the hotel complex. The shuttel drive mentioned something about a "strike" - and later I heard that this is a government issue - some sort or revolt! Uh Oh! There is some constitutional issue that the parties are fighting over.

We entered a very secure complex - beautiful - the Hyatt Regency in Kathmandu - apparently the best place to stay here. I checked in and they offered me "an upgrade" which I took - probably the best deal of this trip. For less than $50 USD a night I get free internet, free cocktails, dinner in the executive lounge, breakfast, and airport transfers. What a deal.

They set me up with the concierge and I booked tours for Wednesday and Thursday. A city tour on Wednesday and a country tour on Thursday. I decided to leave Friday open for my independen exploring.

I got to my room and seemed to freeze!!!! I looked out and didn't know where to go-but finally ventured out into the city. The concierge had mentioned the Sandiling Moastery Stupa. I went out the "back gate" - met by a guard to check me out - and he directed me to the Stupa. Lots of friendly people along the way. Waving - wanting to say "hello" - interested in this westerner. It made me feel welcome and at home. A good feeling.

Many shops along the way - sewing - metal works - food - etc. Some interesting masks too. May have to get one of those for my collection.

I arrived at Sandiling Stupa - and it was magnificent!!! Hard to describe. Many, many people all walking "clockwise" around the stupa - both inside and outside. It was obviouslly afternoon prayer time. There was lots of genuflecting, beads, chanting, mumbling, ringing of bells, monks humming, incense, and also an exhibit of faith where they laid down flat on a board and then got up - not sure how many times they do this but I'll find out tomorrow. I got lots of picture - bells, flags, and lots of friendly people. This was a turning point for me.

Headed back to the Hyatt and encountered more friendly people. Went to the executive club lounge and feasted off of the tapas and had several glasses of wine. Enjoyed watching the sun set in the distance behind the mountain. Kathmandu is in a valley and the smog here is incredible. Can't be healthy and I noticed many people wearing masks over their mouth and nose.

Returned to the room about 8:30 - caught up on email and CNN, read a while and then went to bed. A good experience in Kathmandu so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment