Sunday, May 22, 2011

Day 15 - Monday May 23, 2011 - Bangkok, Thailand




Left: Statue of King Rama IV - a predecessor of the current King of Thailand.

Right: Guess who I ran into at the mall in Bangkok????

Up with the sun about 6 am. Had coffee in the room and updated things on the internet and then set out.

First stop is Lumphini Park - not far and I've never been there. I got completely lost for about 30 minutes but figured it out - this is really a confusing city.

Lumphini Park is the "Central Park" of Bangkok - right in the middle - large - lakes and walkways - fountains - lots of trees. I sat in the shade for about 30 minutes and watched people doing tai chi - looks graceful and peaceful. Lots of people out walking before the heat of the day hits in full force - although it was already VERY hot and humid.

Bought a day pass for the SkyTrain - what a deal - you can ride anywhere in Bangkok for only $2.00. First set out for Siam City - an amazing complex - hotels, malls, restaurants, offices, shops, it was huge and VERY classy. This is the swankiest mall I've seen since Dhubai. Looked for a sport jacket (remember I left mine at home) but didn't see anything I liked. Took in all of the sights and people watching was good too.

Then took the SkyTrain to the Chao Phraya River - very very muddy with globs of that weed floating in it again like last time. Took a tuk tuk ride through the city - that was fun but smoggy. Ended up at River City a smaller shopping mall - not many people there but the Thai artifacts in the shops were beautiful. Went by "Paul's" - the tailor we used many years ago and he was there working helping a customer get fitted.

Took the River City Ferry back to the SkyTrain station, then the SkyTrain back to Siam City. Went to the area where all of the restaurants were and found a nice restaurant. Lunch was delicious and inexpensive. Two large spring rolls, chicken and pork with rice and vegetables, and a carafe of wine for about $22. Went somewhere else and had a cup of green tea ice cream - yum!

By this time it was late afternoon so headed back to the SkyTrain and went back to the hotel. It is amazing how some people much "watch" you on the streets. One man has approached me every time I went in and out of the hotel and has spoken to me. First this morning I had jeans on and then changed to shorts as it got hot - and he commented on this. He isn't associated with the hotel as he is a block away but I wonder what that is all about!!!! The Thai people are observant and that's where the good service comes from, I guess.

Spent the late afternoon by the hotel pool, napped and read. Back to the room and packed for a very early departure in the morning. Had a light bite to eat at the hotel for dinner since my lunch was so late.

Tomorrow - off to my exotic stop in Nepal - the birthplace of the Buddha!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment